It’s officially summer! Although here in Dublin at this very moment it’s quite overcast but oh so warm. Needless to say, I have been spending my days in the kitchen (nothing new there) with my little dude Oscar trying to come up with summer treats for all your babies.
Cooking with children takes a lot of patience and I thought I could make this post about just that (and watermelon pizza of course). Every week I cook with my little man and he absolutely loves getting involved. The moment he hears the blender, food processor or a bag rustling he comes in dragging a chair with him to stand at the counter to help.
It can be frustrating when he pours an entire carton of milk into a pancake mixture that was already made but there are ways to make the entire process super fun and enjoyable for both of you.
Cooking with kids
- Have ingredients measured out so that your little one isn’t hanging around waiting, believe me, it really helps (If you can sneak the ingredients out of the cupboards without them noticing).
- Cook recipes that are fun to make with kids (like this watermelon pizza, or these Brown Bread Ice Cream Cones)
- Make cooking quick for smaller little ones. I find with Oscar that quick is best. He has the attention span of a fish sometimes so the easy quick recipes work best with him.
- Cook recipes that are nutritious and get them to taste as they are cooking.
- Talk about the ingredients as you are cooking. Teach them what courgettes, carrots, broccoli etc looks like.
- Encourage your little one to try soft, easy to chew ingredients as they are cooking. You can move onto things like carrot sticks etc when they are older toddlers.
- Encourage your child to share their creations with Daddy and their siblings. They get amazing enjoyment out of watching others try their hard work.
- Make it fun and not a chore 😀
Happy Summer to you all.
Hope you like this recipe. Let me know if you have any questions and tag your photos with #babyledfeeding if you make it.