My lovely little Oscar has decided today that he is the boss and after an exhausting morning of chasing him around the house, park and garden I wanted to make something super quick for his lunch. Quiche was always a favourite of mine growing up and it was one of the very first dishes I gave to Oscar at 6 months. These little baby quiches are just super cute! They taste delicious and are full of yummy ingredients and they taste good warm or cold which means they also make a good lunchbox filler for my other kiddies.
- Print Recipe
What goes in...
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 80g Butter
- 3-4 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Small Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Handful Baby Leaf Spinach Finely Chopped
- 3 Organic Eggs
- 100g Goats Cheese
How to make it...
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Cut the bell pepper in 1/8s and drizzle with a little oil. Roast skin side down for about 30 mins or until soft. Immediately take out of the oven and place in a plastic food bag or if you don’t have one wrap in cling film to prevent air escaping. Leave aside until later.
- In a bowl sieve your flour, then add the butter and using your fingers rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add your water (1 tablespoon at a time) and using your hands mix into the flour and butter until it resembles a dough that sticks together.
- Roll on a floured surface until thin and then use a small circular cookie cutter to shape out 24 mini circles.
- Place these into your greased mini muffin baking tin and refrigerate until you are ready to add your filling.
- Meanwhile, head the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and slowly sauté the onions until soft but not brown.
- Add the finely chopped spinach to the pan and stir for about 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted down. Remove from the heat.
- Then open your bag with the peppers, peel off the skins and finely chop the flesh into tiny pieces and add to your onion and spinach mixture.
- Remove your pastry from the fridge and place roughly 1 teaspoon of the vegetable mixture into each little pastry. There should be enough for 24.
- Whisk the 3 eggs well and spoon 2 teaspoons of egg into your little quiches.
- Finally, add a little piece of goats cheese (approx 1/2 a teaspoon) to the top of each one and place in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the egg has set and the pastry is cooked.
- Serve with some slices of avocado for a delicious dinner
HELPFUL TIP - Freezing
These little quiches freeze really well and are perfect to have on hand for those busy days. Just defrost in a fridge overnight and reheat in an oven for about 10mins or microwave for 30 seconds max. Make sure they are cooled before serving.